If you will be taking the Wechsler IQ test and you want to do well, the following tips should set you up to succeed. Most importantly, you’ll want to be the best version of yourself the day of the exam if you want to maximize your score.
Tips for Getting the Best Score on an IQ Test
Unlike a standard knowledge-based test, you can’t easily practice for an IQ test by learning facts or figures. Working on expanding your vocabulary is one area that you might be able to improve your score, but much of the test is based on perceptual reasoning and memory. For those sections in particular, there aren’t specific topics you can study to help you perform better on the Wechsler test. However, by using the following tips, you can set yourself up to succeed:
- Get a full night’s sleep. If you’re feeling rested your mind will be well rested, clearer, and able to process complex information more efficiently.
- Wear something comfortable. You’re not trying to win a fashion show, so dress in something that makes you feel comfortable and won’t be a distraction for you or anyone else.
- Eat breakfast before you go, or lunch if you’re taking an afternoon test. Being hungry can be a distraction and be a major hindrance to your mental capabilities when you need them most.
- Know where you need to go to take the test. This seems like a no-brainer, but adding unnecessary stress prior to the test by getting lost or running late will most certainly hamper your performance. Arriving to the testing site with plenty of time to spare will help you be relaxed when you begin the test.
- Understand what questions you will be asked on the test. Spending time on sites like this one where you can learn the general format of the test and the types of questions you’ll be getting will decrease the chances you get caught off guard during the exam.
- Take a second to meditate before the test and clear your mind of distractions. If you’re unfamiliar with meditation techniques, there’s a handy app called Headspace that can teach you some basics.
- Workout your brain with brain teasers and cognitive training tests and applications on sites like Luminosity, or by taking other timed cognitive ability tests to teach yourself to process information and make quick decisions via repetition.
- Use online pre-tests or practice tests prior to taking the official test.
- Take your time when doing the test and do not rush. You won’t receive extra points for finishing the Wechsler test quickly.
- Take the test at a time when you don’t have many outside distractions in your life. If your life is full of stress from your personal life, job, or school, it may make focusing difficult during the exam.
- Eat nutritious foods that promote memory and focus. There are a number of healthy foods like avocados, beets, and blueberries that provide nutrients that may help improve your performance.
There is no right or wrong way to prepare yourself for an IQ test but it is important to know what to expect and to control your environment to the best of your ability.